The project manager leads the planning and execution of a project, with the goal of achieving project deliverables in a specified time period. Effective project managers are highly valued and sought out by many organizations. Here are a few of the project leadership activities that project managers bring to an organization –
- Clearly define and document the project and expected outcomes.
- Identify and lead a project team whose members often report into other functions.
- Understand the work breakdown structure required to complete a project, and develop a detailed project schedule (Gantt chart).
- Support project team members as needed.
- Keep the team focused on top priorities and manage stakeholder expectations.
- Ensure that project deliverables are achieved.
Here is more information related to the skills needed to be a project manager.